Country House

Country House
"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul"

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Back to the basics of art

For the first time, I'm taking an art course to see what I've missed - if anything - and to learn technique. Actually, painting entered my life in a big way four years ago, following a career as a columnist and freelance writer for various newspapers, when my son gave me some paint tubes and two brushes.

"Here - paint," he told me and I haven't look back since. Think I already shared this but it bears repeating because my introduction to my painting muse has changed my life immensly.

Whatever I've learned so far has been from experience, which in my opinion is a great teacher. My first painting, a still life, is hanging in my bedroom. Although it was very basic, the thrill of actually seeing an image that I created on a canvas is something that never ceases to amaze me. There has always been a feeling that something is missing within my art sphere. For example, my psychological dilemma when faced with a large canvas irks me, in addition to some other hang-ups. It's for this reason that painting course seems like a good idea. Let me share, for the record, that I've formed some very strong feelings when it comes to personal style if not technique.

To date and after one lesson, I've picked up a few simple and basic things that will definitely help me. Not too crazy over the instructor since she is very inflexible and regimented but I'll give it a chance. Maybe. Depending on her attitude and whether we can find a common ground.

Meanwhile, I'm painting on my own and feel that I'm growing as an artist. In the end, that's what's important. Meanwhile, I'll be posting/sharing my new paintings in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is a great step forward. Even if you don't click with your instructor I am sure the classes will give you confidence and you'll reap some new perspective. Can't wait to see the new works.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Glad you could drop by. Share your feelings and comments and let's talk art!