Country House

Country House
"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul"

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A little art goes a long way

Upon conducting my daily morning check into my blogs, a blank Artistic Concepts graph greeted me, indicating a lack of additional content. As a writer, there is always the threat of a blank page and whether one can fill it with interesting reading material. My art is a newer addition to my endeavors and more disciplined approach is required to taking fingers to keyboard and sharing updates - starting now.

I've been focusing my efforts on my mini 4x7" canvases with a variety of subjects ranging from landscapes for the main part, to abstracts or whatever hits my fancy at any given moment. Their numbers are accumulating by leaps and bounds and are currently being stored in mini easels on my dining room server. Who knows where they'll end up next once the surface becomes filled to capacity. The larger canvases are displayed in regular easels that were stained with varnish to integrate with the surrounding furniture. They are the perfect vehicles and only means other than walls, in which to display my painting efforts. Storage is always a problem living in an apartment condo and ideally a studio setting would solve the over-crowding situation but for now, anyway, that's a dream scenario.

Still more are being stored in a small - accent on the small - supply room in the apartment that houses a hot water heater. My art supplies are also stored here on shelves and actually on any and all free space but the warm temperature is not conducive to storing art material. Another option is to hang all the finished paintings but one doesn't want the walls to resemble an art gallery.

I'm re-working one of my earlier canvases, a 20x24" black-and-white abstract entitled, "Broken Windows - Broken Dreams." It's getting there after two years of tinkering with the image.

Our Thursday morning drop-in art group collective still gets together in a local but small library, for weekly painting sessions. The atmosphere is relaxed among the participants and help is always available when someone asks for opinions or help.

Not sure whether the condo art display is taking place this summer, since there hasn't been any notices posted anywhere to this effect . It's an outdoor exhibition and is dependent upon good weather making it conducive to browsing by visitors. Last year and in spite of ideal conditions, visitors were few and far between so who knows if there's any interest among the artists in displaying their work.

"What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit."  John Updike.

Or a lack, thereof, of space in the physical sense. Ask me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Glad you could drop by. Share your feelings and comments and let's talk art!